the one where i publicly ream "Grease" under the guise of women's lib.

seriously. so, for those of you who may not know, i'll be playing the role of "Sandy" in Grease this July. those who know me are aware already of my not really loving Grease so much, but i am sad to report that i finally read my script last night, much to my dismay.

seriously? it was really funny (except not), because i was talking to my mom on the phone earlier, complaining about how the show has the most horrible "message" of any show ever, how basically the show is one huge masogynistic mess, when i pulled out my script, saying, "who wrote this show?" lo and behold, it was written by 2 men. shocker. the whole plot of the show goes a little something like this:

sandy and danny are happy lovebirds over the summer, just the two of them. school starts, all their friends act mean and ruin their relationship. danny's friends make fun of him because sandy is a prude and doesn't "put out," and all the pink ladies make fun of sandy because she doesn't smoke, drink, or have sex. so how does this sad story get resolved? well, sandy has to CONFORM, of course! the best answer is of COURSE that the woman has to CHANGE who she is so she can 1) fit in, and 2) have a man like her. GEE, how shocking that it was written by 2 men in the middle of the women's lib movement!

ok, sorry, i get a little worked up about things sometimes. that's my musical theater rant for this week, ha!

on a happier note, i am one busy bee this summer already! today i painted my dining room all by myself, and i've already got the whole room put back together with accessories, wall hangings, and the curtains back up. i rock. NOT to mention, i made homemade cookies for the first time today! meaning, i actually mixed ingredients together to make the cookie dough instead of buying those break and bake ones from the store, LOL! and they. are. yummy. chocolate chip butter cookies, YUM!

tomorrow is a full day of studying for the ESL test i have to take monday, while also finishing up some laundry and picking up to prepare for clint's parents to come visit! tomorrow evening we've got a surprise anniversary party to attend, and saturday we're all hitting the rangers game. good times! and hopefully it won't get rained out!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Now I feel bad for loving Grease. You are right though about Sandy having to change and all of it, I just never thought about it like that. Of course I grew up watching the version my mom editted, so I was in college before I realized Rizzo was pregnat. I really like my nice sheltered world. It is a nice place more people should visit.

jenn k said...

You are turning into Suzy Homemaker. Watch out, soon Clint's gonna expect dinner on the table every night! DON'T "CONFORM" LOL!

BTW- I heart grease and can't wait to see you as sandy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin